Term-Time Study Abroad Opportunities

Term-Time Study Abroad Opportunities

Besides joining outbound exchange programs organized by HKUST, students are possible to study at an overseas institution by applying directly to the institution.

HKUST Study Abroad
HKUST Study Abroad
Text Area

How can I apply?

Students can apply directly as ”Visiting Students” on a fee-paying basis in most universities. You can check the eligibility requirements of the host institution.

The applications do not go through HKUST and admission decisions are made by the host institution. You should research carefully about offerings before committing to a program.


Procedures at HKUST

Apply for Leave from Study

HKUST does not permit concurrent studies during the regular terms (Fall and/or Spring) at another post-secondary institution unless prior approval was given by HKUST. Therefore, you must apply for leave from study formally and request HKUST to approve your leave from studies at HKUST during the period you specify.

When this is approved, you continue to be a registered HKUST student, but will not be billed tuition for the term you will be away. 

The application should be submitted before the start of the term when you will be away from HKUST. The completed application needs to be submitted to your department. The Academic Registry will notify students of the application results.

For details, please refer to the website of Academic Registry.


Consult HKUST on course selection

You are encouraged to consult your HKUST academic advisor regarding course selection. You can also check about course mapping and credit transfer matters.

Visit our “Academics” Section of this website for details.


Register your participation with HKUST Office of Global Learning

Please register your participation with HKUST. This would allow HKUST to maintain connection with you while you are away. Should there be travel alerts or incidents happening in your study abroad destination, HKUST will be able to provide support.