Hong Kong is a key aviation hub with connections to major cities throughout the world. You may consider traveling around Asia during your stay in Hong Kong.

HKUST Study Abroad
HKUST Study Abroad
Text Area


The Hong Kong Immigration Department requires all non-local students to obtain a student visa in order to study in Hong Kong. In general, if you do not possess the right of abode or the right to land in Hong Kong, or hold a dependent’s visa, then you will require a student visa.

Text Area


Exchange students are not allowed to take up employment, whether paid or unpaid, during the studies in Hong Kong.


International Students Traveling to Mainland China
Mainland Students Traveling Overseas
Taiwanese Students Re-Entering Hong Kong
Text Area

The student visa, issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department, does not entitle holders of overseas passports to enter Mainland China. Exchange students can apply for a Chinese Tourist Visa from the Chinese Visa Application Service Center in Hong Kong. 

For those holding Singapore, Japan and Brunei passports, you may enter Mainland China for up to two weeks without a visa. Please check on the latest status regarding this policy before departure.

For details on applying for a China Visa, please visit the website of:

Text Area

Students of Mainland Chinese citizenship who wish to travel overseas should ensure that you have a valid passport. The passport application should be made to the Public Security Bureau of their province/city or at the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the PRC in the HKSAR. The Entry Permit issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department allows for entry to Hong Kong only, and is not a travel document for travelling overseas.

Text Area

Taiwanese students will be issued a single-journey entry permit to take up studies in Hong Kong. After entering Hong Kong on the single entry permit, you may apply for a "Multiple Entry Permit" (MEP) at the Hong Kong Immigration Department and transfer of endorsement onto the MEP to facilitate your future travels to and from Hong Kong.

Text Area


  • Always inform your family and someone in Hong Kong prior to departure. Remember to give them a copy of your contact information if available.
  • Check for travel or health warnings issued for your destination. Obtain proper immunization if necessary.
  • Ensure that you have all the travel documents, visas and entry permits required for entry into your destination before departure.
  • Purchase travel insurance for the entire duration of your trip.
  • Store your money, travel documents and other valuables in a safe place.
  • Make photocopies of travel documents and keep them separately when you travel.
  • If possible, check the contact details of your country's consulate/embassy as well as the local emergency number at your travel destination.
Text Area


Should your passport or travel document be lost or stolen in Hong Kong, please follow the procedures below:

  • Immediately file a report of the stolen document to the Hong Kong Police Force online and keep a print out of this on hand.
  • Inform your consulate in Hong Kong and apply for a new passport. If your consulate is not situated in Hong Kong, you will have to contact the nearest consulate overseas and liaise with them. Remember you will not be allowed to leave Hong Kong without your travel documents.
  • Obtain a testimonial from the Academic Registry as proof of your student status at HKUST.
  • Bring your new passport, the testimonial issued by HKUST and the lost report provided by the Hong Kong Police Force to the Extension Section at The Hong Kong Immigration Department, 5th Floor, Immigration Tower, Wan Chai to apply for a transfer of the endorsement of your student visa to your new passport.